Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ode to The Wall- A Poem



Link: The Lemonade Award


Link: To my last poem


***Remember our next Treasure Hunt will be July 6th. Prize will be one ACEO from each participating blog.


I wanted to post this poem about Vietnam for our upcoming Fourth of July celebrations.


My father fought in WWII. Both of my brothers and my husband fought in Vietnam.


My father, one of my brothers, and my husband retired from military careers. I am proud to say that I am a service brat.


My husband went on to retire from a second career. He has flown all of his life. I want to say how grateful I am for the troops who are always dying and risking their lives to keep this country and the citizens of this country safe. I admire their dedication so much. They are a breed unto themselves and I wish there were more men and women with the character of our military troops.


God Bless Our Country! Happy Fourth of July!


Carole Shukle

Copyright 1999


Ode to The Wall


I touch your ebony face-

cold as death.


My eyes, like a camera,

zoom in on one name of

thousands you hold so lovingly.


I trace the letters

with my finger, trying

to imagine the boy

who no longer

breathes.


His family aches for him.


Stepping back,

more names

come into view

in staggering numbers.


Fifty-eight thousand

names multiplied again

by that much pain.


Your shoulders are broad

and strong to carry so many.

Thank-you

for memorializing

these men

and women

who died

for our country.


The survivors shouted

down and shunned

by our society left ugly

scars on the

psyche of America.


Where is their memorial?


**God Bless all our troops past and present--Amen.

**If you see a soldier stop and sa,y "Thank You."

12 comments:

  1. Thanks, Marlene. Okay, you posted fine. That email really had me worried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem. My parents left Vietnam right before the war ended to start a new life here in Canada.
    Hope you have a great July long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. Thanks to all our brave men & women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kathy, Cabin and JOMO. :)

    Wow, Cabin that is interesting.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great poem and have a happy 4th.
    Katelen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I hope you had a happy 4th Carole!

    ReplyDelete